Labor Day may be considered the “unofficial end of summer”, but for those of us in Louisville, Labor Day marks the beginning of our Fall Festival Season. There is something for everyone almost every weekend during September and October. Your calendar could be full with events that offer food, fun, and an opportunity to experience something new and interesting. Here is a short list of the area favorites:
- The Gaslight Festival– This festival is held in downtown Jeffersontown, KY and runs from Sunday September 11th through the 18th. The Gaslight Festival began as a small street party in 1969; unofficially replacing the Jeffersontown Community Fair. Now it has grown to one of the largest festivals in the Louisville area.
- IdeaFestival– This year’s StayCurious festival is September 27th through the 30th at the Kentucky Center. Idea Festival also has many creative speakers throughout the year as well. This is not your typical festival and it’s perfect for stirring the creative juices in your soul.
- Louisville Irish Fest– The Irish Fest is held at Bellarmine University September 24th & 25th. Come out for great food, dancing and all things Irish!
- NuLu Festival– The Nulu Fest is in the 700, 800, and 900 blocks of East Market on September 24th from 11AM to 11PM. This is a true block party featuring craft beers, vendors, and music. Come check out one of the newer festivals in New Louisville!
- Belknap Fall Festival – Week in the Highlands– These two festivals are held October 2nd -9th all over the Bardstown Road area with events from jazz to antiques at Farmington. Its a great weekend to just come out and people-watch and there are too many options to mention! Check out the schedules (linked above) for specific events and times.
- St. James Court Art Show– This art show is over 50 years old and has become bigger every year. It’s held in St. James Court and surrounding blocks. The funds raised help maintain this beautiful turn of the century fountain and the surrounding neighborhood. It’s always held on the first weekend in October and this juried art show has some of the finest artists nationwide. Go on Friday to hope to find a parking spot!
- The World’s Largest Halloween Party! Louisville Zoo– This spooktacular event is held the 1st and 2nd weekends in October and is an amazing event for the kids. This “not so scary” trick or treat party is full of costumed characters and plenty of candy.
- Jack-O-Lantern Spectacular– This amazing display is on October 13th through November 6th in Iroquois Park from dusk to 11 PM. This event features over 5,000 beautifully carved, lit pumpkins down a ¾ mile path. It’s also kid friendly and a perfect way to celebrate Halloween!
One warning, many of these events are “dog-free (no dogs allowed)”, so double-check before you bring your pets. Summit Executive Suites loves to embrace the local flavor of these Louisville festivals. The crisp, fall weather is the perfect time to get out and get motivated! We hope to see you there!