The US is the most generous country on the planet, and during the holidays we sometimes get too busy to remember to pay it forward, even though nothing helps bring the Holiday Spirit alive like helping someone in need. With all the natural disasters that have struck the country this year, there are plenty of ways to help. Whether it is in your own community or helping out-of-state; here are some ideas to give back to those in need. They’re easy to do and will help immensely. Many professionals will get their office to volunteer on different projects during the season to build a sense of community within the office team. Here are a few local ideas:
- American Red Cross — It’s easy to donate at their website, and the money helps the victims of the recent wildfires in California, as well as hurricanes and flash floods that have left so many people homeless. You can also volunteer and donate blood in your community.
- Salvation Army Tree — While the Angel Tree program ended Dec. 8th for gifts, it is still possible to go to any Kroger store and purchase meals for the Salvation Tree Angels. A $25 purchase provides a full Christmas meal with all the trimmings. Visit their site to learn how you can help year around as well. The need doesn’t end when the holidays are over.
- Dare to Care — Donating food to the local food banks this time of year is probably the best way to help the most people. All the donations (money included) stay in the local community. Donating time to create gift baskets is also a great way to get into the season of giving!
- Toys for Tots — Who doesn’t like buying toys, especially for kids who won’t receive anything for the holidays! This charity has been around since 1947 and continues to help local communities every season. All local fire departments are accepting new, unwrapped toys through Wednesday, Dec. 19th. You can also donate through their website.
- Wayside Christian Mission — If you enjoy volunteering your time by serving meals around the holidays, Wayside can always use more help! They have so many outreach centers for the homeless in our community. There is a variety of ways to make an impact!
These are just a few ways to give back in our Louisville community, and many of these national organizations are set up in many locations outside of Louisville. Take the time to check them out and find a way to help where you can. Your holidays will be better for it! At Summit Executive Suites, we annually support the Salvation Army Tree along with our clients and help out during the year when a local need arises. Come in for a tour and feel the sense of community in our office environment.